Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Do sore throats and comet mix?

Probably not.
I've been MIA because we're officially putting the house up on weds, well actually thursday. We have been cleaning and cleaning and organizing. It's exhausting. Hopefully it'll be well worth it. I have to admit I am both scared sh*tless and excited about what comes next. I haven't even let my self think much about it, we'll be moving again, this time out of MN. WOW. You know I wish we could just pick this house up and move it wherever we go, I like our house, it was finally just becoming ours. Now it's clean and shiny for someone else. :-( This was going to be our forever house, the one our kids would grow up in and we'd grow old. I had plans for a huge garden, adding a patio to the deck in the backyard, updating the kitchen, the list goes on. I hope what we gain from this move is more than weather or better finances, I hope that we get breathing room and perspective. I also just hope we get through this move in tact! K~ hates change and fights it, and even though selling the house is largely his idea, it doesn't seem to help. Yes K~ has always had mild to moderate OCD, and it rears it's head whenever change is involved. His entire family is like that in some form. It's been a battle, or maybe more like the third person in our marriage. Sometimes I think we've conquered it and other times I feel defeated by it. I'm thinking that moving will help. I hope. Hell to really break his habit we should move every year! Totally kidding! We'd both end up curled up in opposite corners rocking back and forth muttering to ourselves, A~ would have serious parent issues. ;-)


On the adoption front, I've been disturbed by the rumors in VN again. I just keep praying that that's all it is. I wish that the state department or the uscis would be more forthcoming about concerns they might have if any, or they'd update their page with more current information instead of sticking to the legalese. Oh and I was trying to look for info on the VN embassy site and on the VN government sites, good luck! Nothing. Just a couple forms in PDF, nothing about statistics, or even anything about how Vietnamese people can adopt from their own country. That's not too promising. I mean I know that they're not going to advertise to the world that they've got thousands of children in orphanages, but man you'd think there'd be something! Another thing that concerns me, and this is purely personal, is the flooding of the VN adoption program by those from china in particular. It's almost comical in away that nearly 2/3 of the recent new member intros on a few of the Groups have this sentence, "DH and I have been DTC for x months and with all of the issues in China we've done some soul searching and find that Vietnam is really in our hearts.". Now maybe some of them have done real soul searching, but really? Or is it the same exact thing as the PAPs that say "we've looked for an agency that was a perfect fit for our family and we chose (blank) agency" and lo and behold the perfect fit was also the fastest most controversial agency with immediate referrals. Seems a lot alike to me. VN isn't in your "heart", it's within your time frame (ie. instant gratification). Hey I'm right there with ya, faster is great. But be honest, it's insulting to all of the APs who have children from VN already and are hoping to bring home a sibling after such a long shut down, and it's insulting to those families who have VN heritage (and those whose very first and only choice for whatever reason is VN). Yeah, I'm irritated that China's having such an impact on the VN program, as I'm sure people who's hearts are truly in China are that they have to wait even longer, but I'm mad when people insult my intelligence. Ya jumped ship because the wait was long, duh. (p.s. if you jump ship and don't have a child or have a daughter already please be open to either! VN is not China! And boys are amazing! I am surrounded by them.)

The big reality check is going to hit many of these families, things change rapidly in this new program and there's a storm brewing, either the rumors are true or the rumors will create problems. When we started this last year our wait went from 4 months to 18 months in the span of 3 months. The agency's wait for new families went to 24 months. So don't even count on being done faster than China. And in all honesty, I wouldn't choose VN right now if I already had LID in China. I have even thought of other options, like Taiwan or Korea, or even thinking about domestic. But for us, until VN is shut down, VN is where we hope to bring a child home from.

2 comments:

saucygoat said...

I hope your house and move and everything goes well. Sometimes in life we just have to jump in and pray.

Your observations on the current state of Vietnam adoptions are interesting, and I agree with a lot of it. I think a lot of the time the want for a baby can be overwhelming and really examining what is going on in the system is hard for people to even attempt to do. It's a sad state sometimes. With China and Guatamala adoptions the way they are now, unfortunately for all of us, I just know Vietnam can only get worse. The pressure on the system.

Barlow Family said...

Thanks!
I've been doing a lot of praying, for our situation and the state of adoptions in general!