Wednesday, April 04, 2007

Preparing for a birthday

Hi!
We are trying to get the house in shape, or at least have it look nice, for A~'s bday on Saturday. He's going to be 5! He is the sweetest guy ever, and soooooo funny when it comes to his birthday! I'll admit he probably gets that from me. Dad's not a big fan of b-days. I'm more fond of planning other's birthday parties. Next year will be the big 4-0 for K~, he wouldn't let me throw a 30th b-day for him, but next year I am planning a party! (he even admitted years later he wishes he wouldn't have stopped me, so that gives me the green light, hahahahahaha!)

A~ has been talking about his b-day for months now, he has so many plans! He wants streamers, he picked the Pirates of the Caribbean theme, he's been talking about a pinata since last summer, and his latest thing- he's making cards to sell at his party to our relatives! He made a sign for his table "card selling character - praying for kids - selling on my birthday - cards" I had to write it exactly as he told it to me. Which I totally love, because it makes little sense! He's made 2 cards so far. One is a pop up and the other is a church with the sun shining and he cut fringe("frenches") all the way around it. A~ has an amazing vocabulary, he always has, his doctor, his teachers, and my friends always comment on it. So, I am in no hurry to correct any of the few adorable A~isms he has. He'll learn correct grammar soon enough. Too soon for me. One of my recent favs is: Coffee-ing (copying). I'll have to think of more and add them later. I used to write them on a calendar, or in my journal.

This is our 5th birthday with A~. His first bday was Winnie the pooh, and me not knowing anything about cakes, and the fact that the Barlow boys eat their weight in cake, we ordered a whole sheet cake. OMG! That's HUGE! It was the funniest thing, A~ in his highchair with an entire sheet cake in front of him! That was a first time mom moment if ever there was one. Oh and I made an iphoto dvd slide show of A~'s first year. Yeah, I've been meaning to do that for every year but somehow never quite got there. Then the theme was a home made mickey mouse cake, which looked great but tasted AWFUL! I am finally now able to have a sense of humor about it, but I had been very touchy about it until recently. In all honesty the thing if dropped would have put a dent in the floor. God love our family they suffered through it and ate their pieces, but no seconds, LOL! Then for his 3rd birthday it was the Incredibles (ala Target) and last year was a boxed cake(learned my lesson) because A~ wanted to bake it and decorate it, which he did and it turned out better than my mickey cake!

This year's cake is courtesy of Target and it's POTC, and A~ has let us know that he will be dressing up as Cap'n Jack for his party.


I promise I'll find photos.


Things that make me happy today:
A~isms: they make A~ seem smaller than he is and lets me pretend he's not growing up so fast.
Dark Chocolate: Gets me through a long boring day at work.
Birthdays: It's so much fun to celebrate someone you love.

No comments: