Tuesday, March 20, 2007

K? so I'm only human

I swear I will try to make this my last post regarding the AJ adoption!
Something just isn't sitting right with me. So I went on line to visit some boards and groups to see what the latest take was and to check into the AFTH agency. I'm a little disturbed at what I discovered. And not in an Oh My God way, but it did leave me wondering. The only things I will say is that they have been known to troll the groups, not a good thing IMHO. And the most troubling for me personally is their strict gag clause. For that alone I would never sign with them. As far as AJ's timeline, it may be within legal limits set forth in the decree, but it doesn't explain how her timeline matches the bare minimum. Since she only reportedly began this past summer, a time when agencies were being flooded with people from both Korea and China due to the changes in their policies and as a result timelines for agencies all over were doubling and tripling in wait time. We're not just talking people waiting for infants here either. While she adopted an older child, that is great, it still doesn't clear things up entirely for me. So, this leads me to taking the previous press release with a grain of salt. While I hope the PR was the truth, I am not naive enough to believe it entirely, I am more inclined to think it truthful (with bits of info left out).

I will stress again that the only reason I weigh in on this at all is because of the nature of VN's closure and the precarious position VN adoptions are in at the moment. Had it been 2 years from now when it's been proven that VN has surpassed the days of corruption that shut it down in the first place, I think I would simply chalk it up to sensationalism. However, currently VN adoptions have many of the same people in it post closure, as pre-closure, which raises eyebrows when talk of fast tracking and large sum donations come up, even if they are just rumor. Rumors do so much damage, but sometimes they help bring the truth out in the open.
Here's hoping that at the very least this whole thing will help other PAPs become more educated and committed to ethical adoptions.


And a tip for the next celebrity to adopt if you don't want a huge backlash, adopt from a well established ethical adoption agency (like Holt or the other big ones with huge lists precisely for their nearly undisputed reputation) and then adopt from a country with a history of ethical adoptions, like Korea or Taiwan, and possibly China (or the US!). Also, you should be prepared for eyes watching like hawks, there are a lot of people in line/in process before you and if that line even seems to part like the dead sea for you, this is what will happen. So, get ready and don't whine when people question, that too is a part of the process of adoption, or even childbirth and definitely parenting --answering questions. Believe me, I have a 5 year old, the questions never stop!!!

No comments: