Monday, October 23, 2006

The long winding road

So we finally got our rough draft, it looks great. One problem though. (always is, isn't there) I have now amassed so much new information I have totally confused the heck out of myself. I'm just not sure that we should stay with the same agency for our adoption. They told us a lot of false statements when we first signed up. They covered their butts by saying, of course things could change. But things changed drastically. And the wait went from 1-4 month for referral to 9+ months, and then add the additional time to travel and it could be a year from NOW when we bring her home! And when we'd started in April we thought a year from then, TOPS. I think they are trying as hard a they can to speed things up. I just think that the people running the program are a little inexperienced, and this situation calls for experience. Of course I'm just going by how things feel to me and the little information I have been able to glean from them and online.
The other agency I had originally hoped to go through has run into some major road blocks as well. Though I think that the people running their program are a little more prepared. Again just a guess.
So my problem is do we wait, most likely a year, 7+ months more than we'd hoped, and stay where we are? Or do we go with another agency? There are so many rumors flying around about these agencies with little way of checking for facts, so you have to basically choose the best of the worst. And then pray you've done the right thing. Or stick with an agency that has no rumor attached, partly because they have only brought home 2 families, and then wait 3 times longer than any other agency. In all honesty I would most likely wait the extra time if this were our first child. It's not. And as it is with all of the fertility things we've tried and wasted time with, our children are going to be far apart. As an only child myself, I really feel driven to have them be as close in age as I can get them, without adopting a toddler. (we're open to up to 18 months) I had thought that I had a perfect albeit totally random way of picking an agency, K's family lives in VN, in Nha Trang, so I was going to pick an agency that works in provinces near his family, that way they could go visit her or give us info about the area and the orphanage, and when we went to get her we would be near them so we could visit, beforehand. And as luck would have it there is only one agency operating anywhere near there, in the province next door! But, it's the agency that has had the only negative rumor that has more than one person to verify it, and that I believe. Of course! There goes that idea.
UGH!
We have to make the final decision this week. That's my personal deadline. Till then I am going to be researching the HECK out of agencies, then I'll flip a coin. (kidding, I hope)

No comments: