Wednesday, November 08, 2006

What's up with all of the PINK???

Everything is pink these days, and everything is geared towards girls it seems. What ever happened to having a boy be the main character in a cartoon/movie/tv show? All of the Disney movies with boys in them have been put in their (imaginary) vault. So my son loves Cinderella, and KimPossible. They only play TMNT (teenage mutant ninja turtles) like once a week. I used to love that cartoon!
Anyway, back to pink. We got the Target toy thing in the mail and A- was ape over it. Started circling things, the whole bit. He loves space stuff and roller coasters, he also wants an Easy Bake Oven. He loves to cook, we cook all of the time and he's a great helper. I'll admit at first I took pause at the EBO. But it's an oven, and everyone should cook. When I was a kid they were like puke green and brown. (and did you know they no longer cook with a light bulb?) The new ones are now PINK and PINK. I absolutely HATED pink when I was a kid, in fact I only started liking pink about 2 years ago. (wonder if turning 30 had something to do with it?) So I would've hated these new ovens simply for the color. Yeah, they do sell a slimy bake, or messy bake or some sort of gross version for boys, but it's not the same, at least it doesn't look like it. It looks like those gross candy making things where you make eyes and spiders that are disgusting as opposed to tasty. So they assume all girls love pink, and boys only eat things that are absolutely disgusting.
To get even deeper into it: Has anyone ever told these people that by making the easy bake oven appeal only to girls by smothering it in pink they are being sexist? I sort of, no I do, resent that they are saying only women cook to eat, men cook to play. So are they saying in some subliminal way to our daughters that they should cook because it's their duty, but "hey girls look it's fun!"? And has anyone watched those cooking shows lately? Most top chefs are MEN, which is another topic. We're not as evolved as we think.... ;-)

I'm not really all that bent out of shape about it, but I am sick and tired of the toy aisle vomiting pink at me! YUK.
And yes we're adopting a girl, and yes I am preparing myself for the pink invasion. :-O

So here are some incredibly cute pictures of A- with his new Easy Bake oven! He's is going to cook me breakfast tomorrow. Mmmmm, yellow cake with chocolate frosting!

No comments: